Captain Henderson House restoration completed on HSU campus

by Talk Business & Politics staff ([email protected]) 746 views 

Henderson State University officials announced Thursday (Sept. 23) the completion of a recent restoration project of the Captain Henderson House on the Arkadelphia campus.

According to a university news release, a $586,688 grant from the Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council funded the project. It addressed various exterior issues, including failing and deteriorated roofing, gutters, wood porch columns, siding, porch flooring, trim, and moldings. Repairs were also made to the adjacent carriage house.

Meanwhile, Henderson State University is seeking a management and marketing company to manage the entire operations of the Captain Henderson House Bed and Breakfast and event center.

The university has issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) and hopes to open submitted bids on Sept. 27.

Construction of the Captain Henderson House was completed in 1892. The 9,000-square-foot mansion was conceived by Capt. Charles Christopher Henderson.

In late 2000 and early 2001, it was meticulously restored to its original state and used as a bed and breakfast facility. It was named to the National Register of Historical Places, and was also featured in the March 2005 edition of Southern Living magazine.

The Henderson House has eight guest rooms (six upstairs and two downstairs), each with a private bathroom. The downstairs also includes a parlor, music room, sunroom, conference room, dining room, two public restrooms, an office and commercial kitchen.

The Henderson House is at intersection of 10th and Henderson streets in Arkadelphia.

Facebook Comments