An analysis of the best days of the year to sell a home has found that the months of May and June offer the most significant home seller premiums, with 10 of the best days to sell in the month of May.
California-based Attom Data Solutions, which tracks national housing and foreclosure data, examined 40.1 million home sales from 2011-2020 and found that home sellers selling in the late spring and early summer realize the most significant premiums — on average 13.4% above estimated market value in May and 11.7% above in June. The analysis looked at any calendar days in the past ten years with at least 10,000 single-family home and condo sales.
“As home sellers continue to enjoy an extended sellers’ market, moving full steam ahead from the momentum gained over the last 10 years, the month of May is particularly poised to garner the greatest sale premiums,” said Todd Teta, Chief Product Officer with ATTOM Data Solutions. “Among the top five days fetching the biggest home seller premiums, May 23 is the best day of the year to sell a home, producing a premium of 19.3% above market value.”
The top five days in May to sell include:
- May 23 — 134,405 sales were analyzed with a 19.3% home seller premium.
- May 27 — 89,856 sales were analyzed with a 17.4% home seller premium.
- May 16 — 134,156 sales were analyzed with a 17.3% home seller premium.
- May 20 — 114,433 sales were analyzed with a 16.6% home seller premium.
- May 19 — 93,981 sales were analyzed with a 16.2% home seller premium.
For the year, the months realizing the biggest home seller premiums are as follows: May (13.4%); June (11.7%); July (11.2%); April (9.2%); August (8.9%); March (8.6%); February (8.2%); September (7.5%); January (6.6%); November (6.4%); October (5.8%); and December (5.8%).