The Division of Arkansas Heritage recently awarded more than $30,000 in grant money to small museums and groups around the state.
Grants for Fiscal Year 2022 range from $2,209 to $2,500 and will promote education and awareness of Arkansas history or aid community-based small museums or organizations in research and preservation concerning Arkansas history.
Eligible museums are history museums, historical societies, historic houses and sites and military museums.
The 15 museums receiving funding were:
- Calico Rock Community Foundation, Inc., for the Calico Rock Museum operating expenses, $2,500.00
- City of Altus for the City of Altus Heritage House Museum operating expenses, $2,209.00
- Clark County Historical Museum for the CCHM Museum operating expenses, $2,305.00
- Cross County Historical Society for the “Hall of Honor” and display cases for military artifacts, $2,500.00
- Fort Smith Heritage Foundation for maintenance and upkeep, $2,500.00
- Greene County Historical and Genealogical Society for microfilm and newsletter paper, $2,493.00
- Helena Museum of Phillips County for carpet/floor replacement, $2,500.00
- Hot Spring County Museum for operating expenses, $2,500.00
- Hot Spring County, Arkansas Historical Society for operating expenses, $2,500.00
- Howard County Historical Society for operating expenses, $2,500.00
- Johnson County, Arkansas Historical Society and Heritage Center for heritage conservation projects, $2,500.00
- Lonoke County Museum for Lonoke County heritage conservation projects and energy efficient lighting upgrades, $2,490.00
- Old Independence Regional Museum for program supplies and utilities, $2,410.00
- Rector Community Museum, Inc., for utilities, $2,500
- Saunders Memorial Museum for sustainability projects, $2,500.00
Arkansas Heritage is a division of the Arkansas Department of Parks, Heritage and Tourism.
The division is made up of eight unique agencies which aid in this mission: Arkansas Arts Council, Arkansas Historic Preservation Program, Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, Arkansas State Archives, Delta Cultural Center, Historic Arkansas Museum, Mosaic Templars Cultural Center and the Old State House.