The Arkansas Historic Preservation Program (AHPP) added 10 new sites to the National Register of Historic Places sites.
The register, administered by the National Park Service, is the country’s official list of historically significant sites worthy of preservation.
Eligible listings include historic districts, sites, buildings, structures and objects that are significant in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering and culture.
“We are pleased to bring another collection of quality properties to the National Register of Historic Places,” said Stacy Hurst, who serves as the state historic preservation officer as well as the cabinet secretary for Parks, Heritage and Tourism.
“Arkansas’s transportation history is compelling, so I’m especially pleased with the listings of the Point Remove Creek Bridge and the Petit Jean River Bridge, as well as the Magnolia Service Station. I encourage everyone to take a road trip and explore our amazing state. A great place to start is by searching the National Register listings on our website for locations near you,” Hurst said Stacy Hurst.
The 10 new sites are:
· Community Mausoleum, located in Elmwood Cemetery, as well as the cemetery’s historic section, Morrilton
· Point Remove Creek Bridge over Point Remove Creek on Old Arkansas Highway 113, Morrilton
· Army & Navy Memorial Lodge, Royal
· J.M. Bransford house, Lonoke
· Orval E. Faubus house, Huntsville
· William H. Grey gravesite, Helena-West Helena
· Magnolia Service Station on Seventh Street, Little Rock
· Waldron School Historic District, Waldron
· Tweedy-Puntch House, Springdale
The Faubus House in Huntsville was designed by E. Fay Jones, a protégée of Frank Lloyd Wright.
“Jones is highly-regarded as the preeminent architect in Arkansas, designing the famed Thorncrown Chapel in Eureka Springs as well as many other buildings including homes, businesses, pavilions and more. His name lives on at the Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design at the University of Arkansas,” said Scott Kaufman, AHPP director.
National Register listings can be found by county at this link.