A recent survey released in conjunction with the annual Consumer Electronics Show found that more than half of consumers polled believe mobile devices will replace television sets by 2022.
Media services company Irdeto, reports that its own research shows 53% of consumers believe mobile devices like smartphones and tablets will replace television sets in the next eight years as the preferred way to watch TV and movies.
Some 31% of those surveyed believe the change will occur sooner — in the next one to five years.
Over 30% of respondents believe they will be using a smart TV to watch movies and television within five years; 6% believe it will be gaming consoles; 6% said streaming devices like Roku will be popular; 5% point to tablets and mobile phones; and 2% cite devices, such as Google Chromecast.
Other results include:
• 65% of consumers still prefer to watch their favorite content live — either on their television or streaming on a mobile device.
• 60% of consumers ages 18 to 24 said they prefer viewing full series at once — so-called binge viewing.
• 18% said they are very interested in buying a 4K TV/Ultra HDTV
• 40% said they are somewhat interested
• 27% said they are not very interested
• 16% showed no interest at all in purchasing a 4K TV/Ultra HDTV
(The survey was conducted among 1,000 U.S. adults ages 18 and older between Dec. 17 and 23)