Seven File For Open State Senate Seat
With filing now closed for a special election, there are seven people interested in the District 21 State Senate seat, which includes Jonesboro and parts of Craighead County.
The seat was vacated by Sen. Paul Bookout (D), who resigned after an Ethics Commission ruling showed he spent significant campaign funds for personal uses. A special prosecutor is investigating the spending to see if criminal charges might be filed.
All told, four Democrats and three Republicans filed for the office.
- Radius Baker (D) – Valley View school superintendent;
- John Cooper (R) – a retired AT&T employee;
- Former Rep. Ray Kidd (D) – a Justice of the Peace in Craighead County;
- Chad Niell (R) – CEO of Tiger Correctional Services;
- Steve Rockwell (D) – a northeast Arkansas businessman who also teaches at Arkansas State University;
- Former State Sen. Gene Roebuck – an insurance executive; and
- Dan Sullivan (R) – A former educator and owner of Ascent Children’s Health Services.
Gov. Beebe has set dates for a special election for the Senate seat. They include:
- October 8, 2013 – Primary special election
- November 12, 2013 – Run-off special election (if necessary)
- January 14, 2014 – General special election