Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee (R) told a group of central Arkansas politicos that he sees more “energy and money” being spent by Republicans to get rid of Republicans, a move he said will lead to more Democratic victories in 2014 and beyond.
Speaking to the Central Arkansas Political Animals Club, Huckabee said mainstream Republicans need to push back on conservative groups like the Club for Growth and Freedom Works, which have actively supported primary opponents for incumbent Republicans.
“It makes no sense to me,” Huckabee told a capacity crowd at the Little Rock Club.
Citing his decade as a Republican governor when a supermajority of Democrats ruled the state legislature, Huckabee said there is a big difference between campaigning and governing.
“Governing requires solutions,” Huckabee said. “To quote the great philosopher Mick Jagger. .. ‘You can’t always get what you want.'”
Huckabee said that unless a political party controls all aspects of the process, compromises must be made to meet in the middle. In a later interview, he added that it was the way “the founding fathers designed the process.”
Huckabee, who now hosts a national daily radio show and a weekly Fox News TV show, used the forum to discuss a variety of other hot-button topics:
- His legacy – He said he hoped his legacy as Governor would reflect the differences he made related to Lake View and education, as well as highway improvements.
- Common Core – Huckabee said conservatives were “demonizing” the education framework of Common Core. He said he felt it was on its way “down the drain” because of its critics.
- Illegal immigration – He cited the need for immigration reform, but said he still supports college aid for children of illegal immigrants. Saying his interest in this issue was “rooted in my value for human life,” children of illegal immigrants shouldn’t be punished for decisions their parents made.
- Obamacare – Huckabee harshly criticized the federal health care law, saying it wasn’t working as anticipated. Not only are technical glitches plaguing the health care web site, but people are losing insurance and premiums are climbing higher.
Talk Business executive editor Roby Brock sat down for a one-on-one interview with Huckabee on this Sunday’s Capitol View TV program, which airs at 8:30 a.m. on KARK Ch. 4.
In the interview, Huckabee provides more commentary on national Republican politics, the gains made by the Arkansas GOP, Obama and racism, and his potential Presidential plans for 2016. You can watch the full interview below.
Talk Business Staff
Latest posts by Talk Business Staff (see all)
- Congressional Recap: Hill Bringing Back ‘Golden Fleece’ Award - May 24, 2015
- Talk Business & Politics Roundtable - May 24, 2015
- Made In America Vs. Made In China - May 24, 2015