Preserve Arkansas has announced seven new buildings to save in Arkansas, an annual event that identifies historic preservation needs across the Natural State.
Arkansas’ Most Endangered Places Program was started in 1999 to raise awareness of the importance of Arkansas’s historic properties and the dangers they face. The list is updated each year to generate discussion and support for saving “places that matter to Arkansas,” according to Preserve Arkansas.
The Arkansas’s Most Endangered Historic Places list highlights historically and architecturally significant properties throughout the state that are facing threats such as deterioration, neglect, insufficient funds, insensitive public policy, and inappropriate development.
This year’s buildings and the years in which they were built include:
Goodwin Field Terminal, 1948
418 Airport Drive, El Dorado, Union County
National Guard Armory (Sonny Alston Youth Center), 1930
309 N. College, Clarksville, Johnson Co.
Union Chapel Community Center, 1929-1938
281 Union Chapel Rd, Springfield, Conway County
Sweet Home Chapel, 1907
Mount Ida Vicinity, Montgomery County
Slack/Comstock/Marshall House, mid 1890s
North of AR 220, Uniontown, Crawford County
Warren & Ouachita Depot, 1909
325 W. Cedar St, Warren, Bradley County
Ray House, 1917
2111 Cross St, Little Rock, Pulaski County
Properties named as “Ones to Watch”:
KATV Building, 1929
401 Main Street, Little Rock, Pulaski County
Mosaic State Temple Building
1921, 906 Broadway, Little Rock, Pulaski County
Property listed as “One to Remember”:
Cox/Burrow House, 1871
Bridge and Burrow Streets, Morrilton, Conway County