Apartments.com is reporting survey results that suggest renters are selecting apartments with more amenities to take the sting out of not taking a vacation.
A survey of more than 1,000 renters found that 55% are spending more time in their apartments compared to previous summers. Negative economic factors were cited as the cause for the trend.
“As a result of this new behavior, access to desirable apartment amenities and on-site community features become increasingly important to renters as they look for ways to enjoy the summer without breaking the bank,” the company noted in a statement.
OTHER RENTER RESPONSES
• Half of renter respondents said they entertain themselves by watching movies and surfing the Internet, while 20% enjoy cookouts with family and friends.
• The top five apartment amenities are (in order from No. 1): air conditioning, balcony-deck-patio, on-site swimming pool, in-unit washer and dryer, and Internet access.
• 45% said they have decided against renting an apartment because un-unit laundry facilities and air conditioning were not offered.
• More than 80% of respondents said they are living without amenities they wish they had.
• More than 35% of respondents said location and neighborhood have the biggest impact on their decision to choose one apartment over another if rent is not an issue.
• 19% said the size of the apartment matters most.