Young people travel so they can be exposed to genuine cultural, social and culinary experiences, according to a study released Thursday (Dec. 7) by the global travel industry news source, eTurboNews.
The survey, which looked at 5,000 individuals between the ages of 18 and 35 from throughout the world, shows more than half of young people want to travel so they can be exposed to different cultures and appreciate the natural beauty of the world.
Most of the participants’ travel decisions were made based on the potential for social experiences (75%). The participants also cited cultural experiences (61%) and culinary experiences (61%) as key influencers.
In fact, the research shows 71% of young people view experiences as the most important thing in their lives, so the top 20 travel destinations on their “bucket list” were not merely places. They also included specific experiences.
The result was “The No Regrets List,” what eTurboNews called the “top 20 bucket list travel experiences for 2017:”
- Bathe in Iceland’s Blue Lagoon
- See the Great Pyramids of Giza
- Walk the Great Wall of China
- Chill out on the beach in Byron Bay
- Learn how to make pizza in Italy
- Road trip down route 66
- Float on a gondola through the canals of Venice
- Kiss someone at the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
- Watch sea turtles lay their eggs in Costa Rica’
- Go on a picnic in the French countryside
- Party in Las Vegas
- Visit Yosemite National Park
- Watch the sunrise over the Ayers Rock in Australia
- Snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef in Australia
- See the Mona Lisa at the Louvre in Paris
- Try all of the gelato in Rome
- Explore the Grand Canyon by helicopter
- Cuddle a Koala in Queensland
- Zip line through the rainforest in Costa Rica
- Ride a bike through Amsterdam