Michael Tilley with our content partner, The City Wire, delves into the redistricting debate that carved up his home region of Sebastian and Crawford counties.
Tilley offers a few takeaways from the debate, which resulted in the surprise attack on western Arkansas in the waning hours of the redistricting battle.
"The process in the last few days of the 88th Arkansas General Assembly certainly smacked of in-your-face-ain’t-nuthin’-you-can-do-about-it politics. Because of that, the low-hanging blame found many suggesting the weakness of the Fort Smith legislative delegation allowed district lines in our area to look like a Picasso piece from his surrealist years," Tilley writes.
He notes a few ways for the Fort Smith region to turn the lemons into lemonade, such as:
- Expect and work to be politically positioned for the unexpected.
- We’ve got to roll back our term limits law.
- We’ve got to send a stronger legislative delegation to Little Rock.
- Turn the Congressional redistricting chicken s&^% into chicken salad.
You can read his full thoughts on the subject at this link.
Latest posts by Talk Business (see all)
- Stovall To Become Executive Director of Two-year College Group - May 29, 2013
- Metropolitan National Bank Posts Q3 Loss Of $1.24 Million - October 26, 2012
- Acxiom's Earnings Jump 21% In First Quarter Despite Revenue Slide - July 30, 2012