Attorney General Dustin McDaniel today announced that he has joined a multi-state review into potential improper practices within the mortgage service industry.
The group of attorneys general in all 50 states, and state banking and mortgage regulators in 30 states, will explore whether individual mortgage servicers have improperly submitted documents in support of foreclosures.
Specifically, the group will look into whether companies misrepresented on affidavits and other documents that they reviewed and verified supporting foreclosure documentation, whether companies signed affidavits outside the presence of a notary public, and whether the company was actually the appropriate entity to pursue a foreclosure, along with other possible issues regarding servicing irregularities or abuses.
“We realize that some foreclosures are necessary, but given the importance of the property right at risk, the process leading to a foreclosure is a serious one and should be above reproach,” McDaniel said. “Our office has joined this investigation in order to make sure that foreclosing entities have fully complied with our laws.”
Some of the concerns to be addressed – such as the practice of “robo-signing” affidavits – may not be applicable to some Arkansas foreclosures, which are pursued outside the court system through the state’s statutory foreclosure process. However, McDaniel said participation in the review may help identify other concerns about the process.
The multi-state group will contact a comprehensive list of individual mortgage servicers. The group’s initial objectives include:
- Put an immediate stop to improper mortgage foreclosure practices.
- Review past and present practices by mortgage servicers subject to the inquiry.
- Evaluate potential remedies for past practices and to deter future improper practices.
- Establish a mechanism for more effective independent monitoring of future mortgage foreclosure practices.
Latest posts by Talk Business (see all)
- Stovall To Become Executive Director of Two-year College Group - May 29, 2013
- Metropolitan National Bank Posts Q3 Loss Of $1.24 Million - October 26, 2012
- Acxiom's Earnings Jump 21% In First Quarter Despite Revenue Slide - July 30, 2012